Sunday, October 31, 2021

Valmiki Ramayana - October 31


October 31 - Sarga 34 of Sundara Kanda. 

Sita, as expected, displays a mixture of emotions - joy, hope, and extreme fear. Hanuman does his best to alleviate her anxieties and cheer her up.


***
Hanuman spoke reassuringly to Sita. 

अहं रामस्य संदेशाद्  देवि दूतस्तवागतः        ।
वैदेहि कुशली रामः स त्वां कौशलमब्रवीत्    ॥  

"Oh Devi, Sita! I have been sent by Sri Rama specifically as his messenger to meet you! I am glad to report to you that Sri Rama is doing well and has sent his best wishes and enquiries to you as to your welfare!"

Hanuman goes on to reassure Sita that  Sri Rama is learned in the Vedas and Shastras and has sent his most anxious enquiries about her welfare. Even Lakshmana, ever dutiful to his elder brother Sri Rama,  is immersed in grief and has sent his obeisances and greetings to her. 

Sita experiences a thrill of joy.

कल्याणी बत गाथेयं लौकिकां प्रतिभाति मा ।
एति जीवन्तमानन्दो नरं वर्षशतादपि            ॥

"Your glad tidings remind me of the adage that at last, even after a hundred years, good news reaches one."

***

As Hanuman built her confidence and they started cheerfully conversing, he moved a little closer to her. Suddenly, Sita felt that this was Ravana in disguise! She recoiled, telling herself, "Oh! Fie on me! I have trusted this one and spoken in confidence when he is indeed Ravana in disguise. Alas!"

Sita went and sat down on the ground. Hanuman wanted to restore her composure. He at once prostrated full length to her. But she did not dare look at him.

मायां प्रविष्टो मायावी यदि त्वं रावणस्स्वयम्   ।
उत्पादयसि मे भूयस्सन्तापं तन्न शोभनम्         ॥

"Oh, if indeed you are that wicked illusionist Ravana come again in disguise like a vanara to trick me, fie on you. It is not appropriate on your part to torment me again. You came then as a mendicant in Janasthana, and now like this! I am already fasting and weak and distressed. Should you behave like this?"

"And yet, I think maybe this is not trickery, because in my bones I am feeling joy. If you are indeed the vanara sent as his messenger by Sri Rama whom I love so much, I wish you well. Tell me more."

"Well, if this is a dream, I am happy to be seeing it! I am always delighted and feel healed every time I think of Sri Rama and Lakshmana! Alas, even sleep and therefore dream has forsaken me thus far."

***

Sita uses logic. Seeing a vanara in one's dream is supposed to bring bad luck and trigger fear. Sita is not feeling like that at all. So this is not a dream. Or..... is it some kind of madness? No. This vanara must be Ravana and no one else. Sita withdraws into herself.

***

Hanuman understood what was going on. He began to speak pleasant words to Sita.

आदित्य इव तेजस्वी लोककान्तश्शशी तथा ।
राजा सर्वस्य लोकस्य देवो वैश्रवणो यथा     ॥

विक्रमेणोपपन्नश्च यथा विष्णुर्महायशाः       ।
सत्यवादी मधुरवाग् देवो वाचस्पतिर्यथा      ॥ 

रूपवान् सुभगः श्रीमान् कन्दर्प इव मूर्तिमान्   ।
स्थानक्रोधे प्रहर्ता च श्रेष्ठो लोके महारथः      ॥  
  
बाहुच्छायामवष्टब्धो यस्य लोको महात्मनः    ।
अपक्रम्याश्रमपदान्मृगरूपेण राघवम्            ॥

शून्ये येनापनीतासि तस्य द्रक्ष्यसि यत्फलम्      ।
अचिराद् रावणं संख्ये यो वधिष्यति वीर्यवान्   ॥  

"Oh Devi, let me tell you what I know about Sri Rama. He is radiant like the sun, and giver of delight to all like the moon. He is the supreme lord of the entire world, the king of kings like Kubera (of supreme prosperity). He is simply unequalled in power and glory, like Mahavishnu himself. Sri Rama adheres to truthfulness always; and speaks in the gentlest of tone. He seems, indeed, to be the God of speech."

"What to say of Sri Rama's appearance? He is most handsome, endowed with all auspicious signs on his body.  He has a grand demeanour, and shames Cupid in his physical beauty."

"This does not mean Sri Rama is soft and weak. Remember his act of valour in Janasthana. He can destroy the wicked. He is in fact the greatest warrior on earth. Is it any wonder then that the whole world chooses to take shelter under his powerful arms?"

"That is why Sri Rama had to be lured away from your hermitage in the forest, by the ruse of the magical deer. As soon Sri Rama went away, you have been abducted by this Ravana and held in captivity here. You shall soon see the consequence Ravana has to suffer for his heinous act, as Sri Rama will come kill Ravana in battle quite soon!"


"Sri Rama, Lakshmana, and the chief of vanaras, Sugriva, have sent their most anxious enquiries and wishes for your welfare. Oh, Devi Sita, fear not! Soon, several crores of vanaras are going to come and attack Lanka under Sugriva's leadership."

अहं सुग्रीवसचिवो हनूमान्नाम वानरः       ।
प्रविष्टो नगरीं लङ्कां लङ्घयित्वा महोदधीम् ॥ 

कृत्वा मूर्ध्नि पदन्यासं रावणस्य दुरात्मनः    ।
त्वां द्रष्टुमुपव्यातोऽहं समाश्रित्य पराक्रमम्  ॥

"Devi Sita, I am a vanara, called Hanuman. I am the chief minister of Sugriva.  I have gained entry into Lanka after leaping across the ocean. I have figuratively stepped on evil Ravana's head and managed to come here, to meet you. That is entirely on account of my prowess."

"Devi, give up your misgivings about me. Trust me."


***


॥         श्रीरामजयम्          ॥