Wednesday, September 9, 2020

How I fixed my desktop mic problem

I realized early on during the lockdown that I would be doing a lot of webinars and video conferences. My MacBook Pro is excellent. My mobile phone Oneplus 7T is very good especially its front facing HD camera. But I wanted a Windows PC also to have this facility.

My HP All-in-One is very good but I had broken off the audio 3.5mm jack in the headset socket some time ago inadvertently. So the audio was disabled. The broken bit stays inside the socket and even an expert couldn't retrieve it. 

So??? 

I did the following:
1. Reinstalled Windows 10 and upgraded the RAM to 8GB. Total cost of parts and services ₹2400.- But still audio dead. 
2. Connected my Fenda 330BT 2.1 speaker system via Bluetooth to HP. It works well but I still had no mic and no headphone functionality.
3. Bought the USB to mic+headphone adapter as shown in the pic for₹289.- on Amazon.
     It arrived today. I inadvertently dropped the green item while opening the box. It promptly broke up😧but luckily only the case was broken but not the PCB or Jack's inside. I applied a cello tape solution and I connected it to the HP PC. 

I have a stereo collar mic from Sony bought many years ago (helps HD recording on my DSLR and PC etc.)
Connected it to the PC. Started Audacity. It works! It records in stereo! 

I have headphones I can connect to the other port on the USB adapter. I am. All set now for Audio and Video conferences! 👍👍👍