Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Elephant Medicine

I am at Gurukripa Ayurveda Heritage centre near Pattambi. This is run very well by Dr. Unnikrishnan and Mr. Krishnadas.
It's been two days,  and I have met the doctor thrice. We have conversations about medicine, life style, yoga and guru etc. Especially about the Guru, we both agree that finding a real guru is a rare blessing. We mention Ramakrishna Parahamsa. Adi Shankara. And I ask him about his guru.
"His name is Sri Nilakantha Namboodaripad. I am really lucky to have met him,  right here. I had heard about the Himalayas but I didn't know if there were real gurus there. But here, I was lucky to meet my master Sri Nilakantha Namboodaripad, when I was 14.
He knew and taught me many things: yoga, meditation, ayurveda,  chikitsa, martial arts,  even elephant medicine.

"Do you know that the science of caring for elephants has been documented in texts? As much as or even more than treatment for humans! There is an ancient text called Paalakapyam (see the link in the end)

"To treat an elephant is very difficult. We have to sit, maybe on top of a tree,  and watch him for several hours. Then only we can understand the medical problem and give treatment. We have all the same treatments for an elephant - kashayam, dhArA...

"I was lucky to find such a guru. That is why we have dedicated this hospital to his name. "

Postscript: This place treats only humans. Right now 32 people are undergoing therapy. It is more a wellness centre than a critical care  place.
The elephant photo is from the  internet  taken at Guruvayoor temple
 http://gurukripaheritage.com  

Elephants in Kerala Culture