Friday, February 1, 2013

Email basics


Email is something I use very often. In fact I find that email is much better than postal service because:
1. It is virtually instantaneous.
2 I can send the same Email to many people at the same time.
3. I can write long or short emails.
4. I can attach articles, photos, links to other Internet documents or sites etc.
5. I can reply to other's emails.
6. I can store thousands of emails at no cost.
7. I can track conversations I.e. the original message, the reply, and its reply and so on.
8. I can search for old emails and information in emails instantaneously.
9. I can store emails in folders.
10. I can attach details of person's address, phone number, website etc. along with his email ID in Contacts.

Emails are stored in servers like Yahoo or Google.
So you need to type the words 'Yahoo mail' or 'GMail' in the browser address bar and click. Once you go to the correct site, you have to sign in with your name (also called ID or sign-on etc.) and then the password.

Each email ID is unique. One person can have several email IDs. They will all remain separate and be stored and viewed separately. You cannot access two Yahoo mail accounts or two GMail accounts on the same computer at the same time.

An email ID looks like
rsachi@y7mail.com.

It is a good idea to create your email ID which is easy to remember.
Never give your password to anyone else!!!

Don't put your phone number, credit card number, or passport number etc. as your email ID.

It is also not a good idea to share email IDs between people and read/reply using other people's email IDs.

Start your email journey now. Click on the link below and read the articles in this excellent website for more information!

http://www.gcflearnfree.org/emailbasics