Sunday, February 10, 2013

Prayer to the Goddess - inside story

Today's Sunday lunch was with close friends. The topic first was how all husbands are really under the wife's thumb, so to speak. But then again, if you see the tomes of prayer to the goddess, it is obvious men worshipped women's great goddess-like qualities.
See this picture. The book of prayers to the goddesses is 3 times the size of that to gods.



So shall we conclude that men worshipped their women as goddesses?
But wait! The real story of these prayers was revealed at this juncture by a scholarly and witty lady. We all know that the great rishis never wrote their works down, it was the disciples who heard and wrote down the verses in Kannada etc. Sorry, folks,  there seems to have been a small typo or transcription error. For example,

If what is written is
OM MAHA RUPINYAI NAMAH - OM, Prayer to the great beautiful goddess!
The actual could actually be ( say it loud - they both sound the same)
OM MAHA RUPINI YEN MAHA - OM, Big deal! Why should I call you beautiful goddess?

So I list some common prayers and give you the suggested real meaning.

1. OM TRIPURASUNDARI YEN MAHA - OM, Big deal! Why should I call you the most beautiful in the three worlds?
2. OM JAGADDHATRI YEN MAHA - OM, Big deal! Why should I call you the support of the universe?
3. OM SARVADUKHAHARINI YEN MAHA - OM, Big deal! Why should I call you remover of all sorrow?
4. OM VARADAYAKI YEN MAHA - OM, Big deal! Why should I call you giver of boons?
5. OM SHARANAGATAVATSALAA YEN MAHA - OM, Big deal! Why should I call you loving saviour of those surrendered to you?
6. OM SARVAPARADHAKSHAMAPINI YEN MAHA - OM, Big deal! Why should I call you the forgiver of all misdeeds?
7. OM LOKAMOKSHAPRADAYAKI YEN MAHA - OM, Big deal! Why should I call you giver of liberation to mankind?
8. OM MANDAHASINI YEN MAHA - OM, Big deal! Why should I call you one with the gorgeous smile?