Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Srimad Bhagavatam VI.11 - 3 January 2023

॥ ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय ॥

Tuesday, 3 January 2023 VI.11 -  Vrittra faces Indra with courage and resilience and says he is surrendered to the will of Bhagavan Maha Vishnu who has advised Indra to use the Vajra to kill him.

***

Vrittra advised his lieutenants to stand their ground and fight in the Dharma of warriors. But they were afraid. The gods attacked them from all sides. Vrittra addressed the gods. "Why do you attack these warriors of mine who are shamefully lacking in courage? Face me!"

The angry and most powerful hero Vrittra terrified the gods with his stout and strongly built body. When he roared with a resounding voice, which resembled that of a lion, the gods fainted and fell to the ground as if struck by thunderbolts. Vrittra strode with his trident and trampled on them. When Indra launched a deadly club at him, he was able to easily grasp it with his left hand. Vrittra now struck Airavata so hard that he bled from his head. Vrittra obeyed the code of warriors and let Indra regroup. Indra now revived Airavata with his hand that had the touch of Amrita. 

When Vrittra saw Indra, his enemy, the killer of his brother, standing before him with a thunderbolt in his hand, desiring to fight, he became mad with anger. Laughing sarcastically, he spoke as follows:

"He who has killed a Brahmin, he who has killed his spiritual master — indeed, he who has killed my brother — is now, by good fortune, standing before me face to face as my enemy. O most abominable Indra, when I pierce your stonelike heart with my trident, I shall be freed from my debt to my brother."

"Indra, you are bereft of all shame, mercy, glory and good fortune.  I shall strike you with my trident, and after you die with great pain, even fire will not touch you; only the vultures will eat your body."

"On the other hand, if I am killed with your Vajra, thunderbolt, I shall thus be relieved of my obligations to the reactions of my karma, and my fortune will be to receive the dust from the lotus feet of great devotees like Narada".

"Indra, your club was as ineffectual as a  request for money from a miser! But the thunderbolt you carry will not be useless. You need have no doubts about this because it has been empowered by the prowess of Lord Vishnu and the strength of Dadhichi’s austerities. Since you have come here to kill me in accordance with Lord Vishnu’s order, there is no doubt that I shall be killed by the release of your thunderbolt. Lord Vishnu has sided with you. Therefore your victory, opulence and all good qualities are assured."

"By the force of your thunderbolt, I shall be freed of material bondage and shall give up this body and this world of physical desires. Fixing my mind upon the lotus feet of Lord Saṅkarshana, I shall attain the destination of such great sages as Narada."

ममोत्तमश्लोकजनेषु सख्यं संसारचक्रे भ्रमत: स्वकर्मभि: । त्वन्माययात्मात्मजदारगेहेष्वासक्तचित्तस्य न नाथ भूयात् ॥ 

T: " Oh Lord, Bhagavan! I am wandering in this Samsara because of my past Karmas. Now I, therefore, seek only the association of your great Bhaktas.  My attachment to my body, wife, children and home is continuing by the spell of Your Maya, but I wish to be attached to them no longer. Let my mind, my consciousness and everything I have, be attached only to You!"


***

॥ ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय ॥