Thursday, February 10, 2022

Valmiki Ramayana - February 10



February 10 - Sarga 121 and 122 of Yuddha Kanda.

Vibhishana offers the best of hospitality and royal enjoyments to Sri Rama in gratitude and to celebrate the victory over Lanka. But Sri Rama wants to proceed without any delay as Bharata is waiting for him in Ayodhya.

They leave for Ayodhya in the great Pushpaka Vimana immediately.

***

After Sri Rama and all others rested for the night, King Vibhishana approached Sri Rama deferentially and affectionately and submitted that perfumed baths, anointing pastes, choice garments, wonderful ornaments, and many garlands were ready and would Sri Rama be so kind and proceed to enjoy them and accept this grateful hospitality. Sri Rama replied most cordially,

"King Vibhishana, kindly invite Sugriva and the vanaras to enjoy these royal baths and adornments. "

स तु ताम्यति धर्मात्मा सुकुमारो भरतः सत्यसंश्रयः "Dear Bharata, full of Dharma, devoted to truth, awaits me. These ceremonial baths are inopportune for me as I have to go back to him right now, and the path to Ayodhya is long and arduous. "

Vibhishana said that indeed, Sri Rama could reach Ayodhya on the same day! 

अह्ना त्वां प्रापयिष्यामि तां पुरीं पुष्पकं नाम भद्रं ते विमानं सूर्यसन्निभं मम भ्रातुः कुबेरस्य 
तदिदं मेघसङ्काशं विमानमिह तिष्ठति तेन यास्यसि यानेन त्वमयोध्यां गतज्वरः 

"Dear Rama, today itself, I shall arrange for you to reach Ayodhya, worry not! There is here the divine vehicle Pushpaka Vimana that belongs to Kubera which was wrested from him by Ravana in the past. Luminous like the sun, big as a raincloud, it stands ready and you can travel happily without any anxiety. "

"But Sri Rama, I beseech you to stay on for a while and accept my hospitality if you think I am worthy. I place before you, Lakshmana and Devi Sita whatever I can offer. It will give me the greatest joy if you partake of my hospitality along with your wellwishers and your army."

Sri Rama replied, for everyone around to hear:

पूजितोऽस्मि त्वया वीर साचिव्येन परेण च चेष्टाभिः सुहृदेन "Oh lord of rakshasas, indeed I have already been propitiated by you with your supreme counsel, and supremely affectionate help on all fronts. Please do not mistake me, 

तं तु भ्रातरं दृष्टुं भरतं त्वरते मनः  मां निर्वर्तयितुं योऽसौ चित्रकूटमुपागतः शिरसा याचितो यस्य वचनं न कृतं मया 
"My mind is impatient and in a hurry for me to go to Bharata, who came to Chitrakuta pleading that I should return to Ayodhya then. He bowed down and begged, but I did not accede. He came with our mothers, ministers, Guha, the citizens of Ayodhya, to importune me. I, therefore, request you to kindly permit me. Please do not be displeased thinking I am rejecting your kindness. Indeed, please arrange the Pushpaka at once and oblige me."

King Vibhishana arranged to present the Pushpaka Vimana immediately. Sri Rama and Lakshmana were astounded to see a mountain-like divine vehicle with its glitter, decorations, adornments, and facilities.
It was multi-tiered, full of silver and gold, and had been crafted by Vishvakarma, the gods' architect, himself. It could travel at the speed of thought, unhindered. 

When Vibhishana presented with all humility the vehicle for Sri Rama's service, Sri Rama was delighted. He then said this, after some thought, within hearing of Lakshmana, with much affection in his voice, "Oh King Vibhishana, kindly honour all these vanaras with precious gems, and gifts, as they richly deserve this. It is owing to their relentless effort and help that Lanka has been won. They were happy to fight without caring for their lives. Your generous gifts of gratitude will please the vanara chiefs immensely. All will praise you for unstinting generosity and appropriate expression of gratitude."

Sri Rama added that a king who does not generously reward his army or people for all that they have done will be forsaken in the hour of need for his ingratitude and miserliness and exploitative attitude.

King Vibhishana understood Sri Rama and generously rewarded all the vanaras with gems, wealth, vehicles, and so on.

Satisfied with the proceedings, Sri Rama then held a bashful Sita in his arms as he boarded the Pushpaka along with Lakshmana. Bidding his affectionate farewell, he addressed Sugriva and Vibhishana:

मित्रकार्यं कृतमिदं भवद्भिर्वानरर्षभाः अनुज्ञाता मया सर्वे यथेष्टं प्रतिगच्छत 

"Dear brave Vanara warriors, you have rendered me great, friendly, help. Thank you again. Now you are free to go where you please."

"King Sugriva, I assure you that you have done whatever a wellwisher friend ought to do. I am saying this because I know you are loath to act deficiently in Dharma. Kindly travel quickly with your army back to Kishkindha, your kingdom. Vibhishana, you also establish your rule well in Lanka. Henceforth even the gods cannot challenge you. I myself shall proceed now to my father's kingdom, Ayodhya. Please give me your permission to take leave of you."

Then, in one voice, the vanara chiefs as well as Vibhishana said, with folded hands, "Oh, Lord Sri Rama, we also want to come to Ayodhya! Please allow us to come and witness your great coronation, offer our greetings and respects to Devi Kausalya,  and roam in the delightful gardens around Ayodhya! We shall then quickly return to our homes."

प्रियात्प्रियतरं लब्धं यदहं सुसुहृज्जनः "Of course, dear ones! This is dearer than anything else for me! I would love to go to Ayodhya with my dearest friends and well-wishers! Please come along!"

The overjoyed vanaras and Vibhishana with his ministers quickly boarded the vast Pushpaka and settled themselves well and appropriately.  On Sri Rama's order, the Pushpaka Vimana now took off into the skies. 

One can imagine that divine sight of the huge aerial vehicle glittering like a heavenly ornament as it majestically cruised in the skies, led by swans in the front. Valmiki says anyone would have mistaken Sri Rama for Kubera himself. Everyone was hugely enjoying the flight!


***


॥        श्रीरामजयम्        ॥