Saturday, April 24, 2010

MDR's Lahari


MDR sings a lovely sloka from Shivanandalahari of Adi Shankara here.
The lyric goes thus:

sArUpyaM tava pUjane Siva mahA-deveti saMkIrtane            
sAmIpyaM Sivabhakti-dhurya-janatA-sAMgatya-saMbhaShANe     |
sAlokyaM ca carAcarAtmaka-tanu-dhyAne bhavAnIpate
sAyujyaM mama siddhaM atra bhavati swAmin kRUtArthosmyaham    ||


I understand the meaning thus:
Oh Shiva,your form appears within me as I worship you. I feel close to you as I chant your name of Mahadeva. When I join the assembly of your devotees and converse with them, I feel immersed in your world. And as I perceive your immanence in all the living and non-living creation, I feel one with you! Thank you, oh lord for giving me this ineffable experience!

Thought-word-deed-experience.

(Geelong sunset on 3 May 2008 after watching a great Cats AFL match).