Thursday, July 20, 2023

Srimad Bhagavatam XI.16 - 20July 2023


॥ ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय ॥

20 July 2023, Thursday - Srimad Bhagavatam XI.16 - Bhagavan's Vibhutis.
***
The natural landmark in one's spiritual development, after intuiting that Bhagavan is the Creator-Supporter-Destroyer of all as well as Omniscient-Omnipresent-Omnipotent, is to wonder how one can connect everyday experiences with Bhakti. That can happen when one begins to see God everywhere. This is easier said than done. It is easier to see God in a beautiful flower than in a rotten fruit, right? The glories of all that we cherish in our lives all emanate from Bhagavan through what are called Vibhutis or special properties or endowments. This chapter covers it as well as the Srimad Bhagavadgita does, in Chapter X there called Vibhuti Yoga.

The best person to tell us where we can find Bhagavan more readily is Bhagavan himself! So both Arjuna in the Gita and Uddhava here in Bhagavatam ask Bhagavan this very question. 


श्रीउद्धव उवाच
त्वं ब्रह्म परमं साक्षादनाद्यन्तमपावृतम् ।सर्वेषामपि भावानां त्राणस्थित्यप्ययोद्भ‍व:  ॥
उच्चावचेषु भूतेषु दुर्ज्ञेयमकृतात्मभि: ।उपासते त्वां भगवन् याथातथ्येन ब्राह्मणा:  ॥
येषु येषु च भूतेषु भक्त्या त्वां परमर्षय: ।उपासीना: प्रपद्यन्ते संसिद्धिं तद् वदस्व मे  ॥
गूढश्चरसि भूतात्मा भूतानां भूतभावन ।न त्वां पश्यन्ति भूतानि पश्यन्तं मोहितानि ते  ॥
या: काश्च भूमौ दिवि वै रसायां विभूतयो दिक्षु महाविभूते ।ता मह्यमाख्याह्यनुभावितास्ते
नमामि ते तीर्थपदाङ्‍‍घ्रिपद्मम्  ॥
T: Uddhava said: My dear Lord, You are beginningless and endless, the Absolute Truth himself, unlimited by anything else. You are the protector and life-giver, the very phenomenon of destruction and creation of all things that exist. Except for Vedic Brahmins who know this,  it is difficult for ordinary, impure minds to realise that you are situated in all superior and inferior creations. Those Rishis who perceive you- please tell me where they see you as more manifest! What good Siddhis (Vibhutis or special attributes) distinguish the elements and beings that richly exude your presence!?

The paradox, oh Lord, is that you run everything around, you are the Paramatma in everything, but we living entities cannot see you in them! Therefore, Bhagavan, kindly explain the innumerable Vibhutis that you endow beings and things with on earth, in heaven and hell, indeed everywhere! Please accept my obeisances, Bhagavan!

श्रीभगवानुवाच
एवमेतदहं पृष्ट: प्रश्न‍ं प्रश्न‍‍विदां वर ।युयुत्सुना विनशने सपत्नैरर्जुनेन वै  ॥
ज्ञात्वा ज्ञातिवधं गर्ह्यमधर्मं राज्यहेतुकम् ।ततो निवृत्तो हन्ताहं हतोऽयमिति लौकिक:  ॥
स तदा पुरुषव्याघ्रो युक्त्या मे प्रतिबोधित: ।अभ्यभाषत मामेवं यथा त्वं रणमूर्धनि  ॥
T: Bhagavan replied: Dear Uddhava, you know what the best questions are to ask! This was the very question Arjuna raised on the Kurukshetra battlefield.  Then, Arjuna thought that killing his relatives would be an abominable, Adharmic act, driven by his desire to acquire a kingdom. He, therefore, desisted from the battle, thinking, “I would be the killer of my relatives. They would be destroyed.” Thus, Arjuna was afflicted with a natural, worldly logic. Therefore, at that time, I enlightened Arjuna, a tiger among men, offering insightful answers. So let me answer your query similarly!

अहमात्मोद्धवामीषां भूतानां सुहृदीश्वर: ।अहं सर्वाणि भूतानि तेषां स्थित्युद्भ‍वाप्यय:  ॥
अहं गतिर्गतिमतां काल: कलयतामहम् ।गुणानां चाप्यहं साम्यं गुणिन्यौत्पत्तिको गुण:  ॥
गुणिनामप्यहं सूत्रं महतां च महानहम् ।सूक्ष्माणामप्यहं जीवो दुर्जयानामहं मन:  ॥
हिरण्यगर्भो वेदानां मन्त्राणां प्रणवस्‍त्रिवृत् ।अक्षराणामकारोऽस्मि पदानिच्छन्दसामहम्  ॥
इन्द्रोऽहं सर्वदेवानां वसूनामस्मि हव्यवाट् ।आदित्यानामहं विष्णू रुद्राणां नीललोहित:  ॥
T: My dear Uddhava, I am the Paramatma of all living entities, and therefore I am naturally their well-wisher and supreme controller. Being the creator, maintainer and annihilator of all entities, I am not different from them. I am the ultimate goal of all those seeking progress, and I am Kaala (Time) among those who exert control. I am the equilibrium of the Prakriti Gunas, and I am the natural Sattva among the virtuous. I am the thread that runs through all qualities, the Mahattattva that creates greatness. Among subtle things, I am the Jivatma, and of things that are difficult to conquer, I am the mind.
Among the Vedas, I am their original teacher, Lord Brahma, and of all mantras, I am the three-lettered Omkara. Among the letters, I am the first letter, “अ,” and among sacred metres, I am the Gayatri. Of the gods, I am Indra, and among the Vasus I am Agni, the god of fire. I am Vishnu among the sons of Aditi, and among the Rudras, I am Lord Shiva. (So those who ask whom to worship see here an equal choice!!!!)

ब्रह्मर्षीणां भृगुरहं राजर्षीणामहं मनु: ।देवर्षीणां नारदोऽहं हविर्धान्यस्मि धेनुषु  ॥
सिद्धेश्वराणां कपिल: सुपर्णोऽहं पतत्रिणाम् ।प्रजापतीनां दक्षोऽहं पितृणामहमर्यमा  ॥
मां विद्ध्युद्धव दैत्यानां प्रह्लादमसुरेश्वरम् ।सोमं नक्षत्रौषधीनां धनेशं यक्षरक्षसाम्  ॥
ऐरावतं गजेन्द्राणां यादसां वरुणं प्रभुम् ।तपतां द्युमतां सूर्यं मनुष्याणां च भूपतिम्  ॥
उच्चै:श्रवास्तुरङ्गाणां धातूनामस्मि काञ्चनम् ।यम: संयमतां चाहम् सर्पाणामस्मि वासुकि:  ॥
T: Among saintly Brahmarshis, I am Sage Bhrigu, and I am Manu among saintly kings. I am Sage Narada among the godly saints, and I am Kamadhenu, the wishfulfilling divine cow, among cows. I am Lord Kapila among perfected beings and Garuda among birds. I am Daksha among the progenitors of mankind, and I am Aryama among the forefathers.
My dear Uddhava, among the Asuras born of Diti, know me to be Prahlada, the saintly lord of the Asuras. Among the stars and herbs, I am their lord, Chandra (the moon), and among Yakshas and Rakshasas, I am the lord of wealth, Kubera! I am Airavata among lordly elephants, and among aquatics, I am Varuna, the lord of the seas. Among all things that heat and illuminate, I am the sun, and I am the king among human beings. Among horses, I am Uccaishravas, and I am gold among metals. I am Yama among those who suppress and punish, and among serpents, I am Vasuki.


नागेन्द्राणामनन्तोऽहं मृगेन्द्र: श‍ृङ्गिदंष्ट्रिणाम् ।आश्रमाणामहं तुर्यो वर्णानां प्रथमोऽनघ  ॥
तीर्थानां स्रोतसां गङ्गा समुद्र: सरसामहम् ।आयुधानां धनुरहं त्रिपुरघ्नो धनुष्मताम्  ॥
धिष्ण्यानामस्म्यहं मेरुर्गहनानां हिमालय: ।वनस्पतीनामश्वत्थ ओषधीनामहं यव:  ॥
पुरोधसां वसिष्ठोऽहं ब्रह्मिष्ठानां बृहस्पति: ।स्कन्दोऽहं सर्वसेनान्यामग्रण्यां भगवानज:  ॥
T: Oh, sinless Uddhava, among the best of snakes, I am Adishesha or Ananta, and among those animals with sharp horns or teeth, I am the lion. Among the social orders, I am the fourth (Sannyasa), or the renounced order of life, and among the Varnas, I am the first, the Brahmin. Among sacred and flowing waters, I am the holy Ganges, and among steady bodies of water, I am the ocean. Among weapons, I am the bow, and of the wielders of weapons, I am Lord Shiva!
 Among residences, I am Mount Sumeru, and of impenetrable places, I am the Himalayas. Among trees, I am the Ashwattha, the holy fig tree, and among plants, I am those that bear grains. 

Among priests, I am Vasishtha, and among those highly situated in Vedic culture, I am Brihaspati. I am Karttikeya, among great military leaders, and among those advancing in superior ways of life, I am the great personality, Lord Brahma.

यज्ञानां ब्रह्मयज्ञोऽहं व्रतानामविहिंसनम् ।वाय्वग्‍न्यर्काम्बुवागात्मा शुचीनामप्यहं शुचि:  ॥
योगानामात्मसंरोधो मन्त्रोऽस्मि विजिगीषताम् ।आन्वीक्षिकी कौशलानां विकल्प: ख्यातिवादिनाम्  ॥
अहं युगानां च कृतं धीराणां देवलोऽसित: ।द्वैपायनोऽस्मि व्यासानां कवीनां काव्य आत्मवान्  ॥
वासुदेवो भगवतां त्वं तु भागवतेष्वहम् ।किम्पुरुषाणां हनुमान् विद्याध्राणां सुदर्शन:  ॥
T: Among Yajnas, I am the study of the Veda (i.e. Jnana Yajna), and I am Ahimsa among vows. Among all things that purify, I am the wind, fire, sun, water and sacred speech. Among the eight progressive states of Yoga, I am the final stage, Samadhi, in which the soul is completely freed from illusion. Among those desiring victory, I am diplomacy, and among processes of expert analysis, I am the Atmavidya (as it takes one to the source of all knowledge), by which one distinguishes spirit from matter. Among all speculative philosophers, I am the inherent diversity of perception.

स्‍त्रीणां तु शतरूपाहं पुंसां स्वायम्भुवो मनु: ।नारायणो मुनीनां च कुमारो ब्रह्मचारिणाम्  ॥
धर्माणामस्मि संन्यास: क्षेमाणामबहिर्मति: ।गुह्यानां सुनृतं मौनं मिथुनानामजस्त्वहम्  ॥
संवत्सरोऽस्म्यनिमिषामृतूनां मधुमाधवौ ।मासानां मार्गशीर्षोऽहं नक्षत्राणां तथाभिजित्  ॥
रत्नानां पद्मरागोऽस्मि पद्मकोश: सुपेशसाम् ।कुशोऽस्मि दर्भजातीनां गव्यमाज्यं हवि:ष्वहम्  ॥
व्यवसायिनामहं लक्ष्मी: कितवानां छलग्रह: ।तितिक्षास्मि तितिक्षूणां सत्त्वं सत्त्ववतामहम्  ॥
ओज: सहो बलवतां कर्माहं विद्धि सात्वताम् ।सात्वतां नवमूर्तीनामादिमूर्तिरहं परा  ॥
विश्वावसु: पूर्वचित्तिर्गन्धर्वाप्सरसामहम् ।भूधराणामहं स्थैर्यं गन्धमात्रमहं भुव:  ॥
T: Among ladies, I am Shatarupa (the first woman born of Brahma), and among male personalities, I am her husband, Svayambhuva Manu. I am Rishi Narayana (of Badarikashrama) among the sages and Sanat-kumara among Brahmacharis. Among Dharmas, I am Sannyasa, and of all types of security, I am consciousness of the eternal soul within. Of secrets, I am pleasant speech and silence, and among sexual pairs, I am Brahma (the original Rajas). Among the vigilant cycles of time, I am the year, and among seasons, I am spring. Among months, I am Margasshirsa( December-January), and among the star positions/Muhurtas, I am the auspicious Abhijit.

Among ages I am the Satya-yuga, the age of truth, and among steady sages, I am Devala and Asita. Among those who have arranged the Vedas, I am Veda Vyasa, and among learned scholars, I am Shukracharya, the knower of spiritual science.

Among those entitled to the name Bhagavan, I am Vasudeva, and indeed, you, Uddhava, represent me among the devotees. I am Hanuman among the Kimpurushas (semi-humans), and among the Vidyadharas, I am Sudarshana (not to be confused with the Sudarshana Chakra).

Among jewels,I am the ruby, and among beautiful things, I am the lotus cup. Among all types of grass,I am the sacred kusha, and of oblations, I am ghee and other ingredients obtained from the cow. For the enterprising, I am the Goddess of Fortune Lakshmi, and for those with a propensity to cheating, I am gambling. I am the forgiveness of the tolerant and the good qualities of those in the mode of Sattva. Of the powerful, I am bodily and mental strength, and I am the devotional activities of my devotees. My devotees worship me in nine different forms, among which I am the original and primary Vasudeva. 

Among the Gandharvas, I am Vishvavasu, and I am Purvachitti among the heavenly Apsaras. I am the steadiness of mountains and the fragrant aroma of the earth.

अपां रसश्च परमस्तेजिष्ठानां विभावसु: ।प्रभा सूर्येन्दुताराणां शब्दोऽहं नभस: पर:  ॥
ब्रह्मण्यानां बलिरहं वीराणामहमर्जुन: ।भूतानां स्थितिरुत्पत्तिरहं वै प्रतिसङ्क्रम:  ॥
गत्युक्त्युत्सर्गोपादानमानन्दस्पर्शलक्षणम् ।आस्वादश्रुत्यवघ्राणमहं सर्वेन्द्रियेन्द्रियम्  ॥
पृथिवी वायुराकाश आपो ज्योतिरहं महान् ।
विकार: पुरुषोऽव्यक्तं रज: सत्त्वं तम: परम् ।अहमेतत्प्रसङ्ख्यानं ज्ञानं तत्त्वविनिश्चय:  ॥
मयेश्वरेण जीवेन गुणेन गुणिना विना ।सर्वात्मनापि सर्वेण न भावो विद्यते क्व‍‍चित्  ॥
तेज: श्री: कीर्तिरैश्वर्यं ह्रीस्त्याग: सौभगं भग: ।वीर्यं तितिक्षा विज्ञानं यत्र यत्र स मेंऽशक:  ॥
T: I am the sweet taste of water, and among brilliant things, I am the sun. I am the effulgence of the sun, moon and stars, and I am the transcendental sound that vibrates in the sky. Among those rreverent towards Brahminical culture, I am King Bali, and I am Arjuna among heroes. Indeed, I am the creation, maintenance and annihilation of all living entities. I am the functioning power of the five working senses — the legs, speech, anus, hands and sex organs — as well as those of the five knowledge-acquiring senses — touch, sight, taste, hearing and smell. I am also the potency by which each of the senses experiences its particular sense object. I am form, taste, aroma, touch and sound; Ahankara or false ego; the Mahat-tattva; earth, water, fire, air and sky; the living entity; material nature; the Gunas of goodness, passion and ignorance; and the Ishwara. All these items, along with knowledge of their individual symptoms and the steady conviction that results from this knowledge, represent me. As the Supreme Lord, Ishwara, I am the basis of the living entity, of the Gunas and of the Mahat-tattva. Thus, I am everything, and nothing whatsoever can exist without me.


सङ्ख्यानं परमाणूनां कालेन क्रियते मया ।न तथा मे विभूतीनां सृजतोऽण्डानि कोटिश:  ॥
T: Even though over a period of time, I might count all the atoms of the universe, I could not count all of my Vibhutis which I manifest within innumerable universes. Whatever power, beauty, fame, opulence, humility, renunciation, mental pleasure, fortune, strength, tolerance or spiritual knowledge there may be is simply an expansion of my Vibhutis.

एतास्ते कीर्तिता: सर्वा: सङ्‍क्षेपेण विभूतय: ।मनोविकारा एवैते यथा वाचाभिधीयते  ॥
वाचं यच्छ मनो यच्छ प्राणान् यच्छेन्द्रियाणि च ।आत्मानमात्मना यच्छ न भूय: कल्पसेऽध्वने  ॥
यो वै वाङ्‍मनसी सम्यगसंयच्छन् धिया यति: ।तस्य व्रतं तपो दानं स्रवत्यामघटाम्बुवत्  ॥
तस्माद्वचोमन:प्राणान् नियच्छेन्मत्परायण: ।मद्भ‍‍क्तियुक्तया बुद्ध्या तत: परिसमाप्यते  ॥
T: I have briefly described to you all my spiritual glories and also the extraordinary material features of my creation, which are perceived by the mind and defined in different ways according to circumstances. Therefore, control your speaking, subdue the mind, conquer the Prana, regulate the senses, and through purified intelligence, bring your rational faculties under control. In this way, you will never again fall onto the path of material existence. A spiritual seeker who does not completely control his words and mind with superior intelligence will find that his spiritual vows, austerities and charity flow away just as water flows out of an unbaked clay pot.

Being surrendered to me, one should control the speech, mind and Prana, and then through the Buddhi rooted in Bhakti towards me, one will completely fulfil the purpose of this glorious opportunity presented to each one as “life”.

***