Thursday, May 4, 2023

Srimad Bhagavatam - Narasimha Jayanti - 4 May 2023


॥ ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय ॥

4 May 2023, Thursday - Narasimha Jayanti- Our good fortune that just after Raasa Leela's reading, today we celebrate Narasimha Jayanti - the incarnation of Bhagavan as the saviour!
***

If I think that by repeating "Aham Brahmasmi", I can overcome the limitations of the body, mind, and accumulated Karmas, I will be the biggest fool. To show this clearly, Bhagavan Adi Shankara has composed the Sri Lakshmi Nrisimha Karavalamba Stotram, also called Sri Lakshmi Nrisimha Karuna Rasa  Stotram - the prayer to invoke Bhagavan's compassion and grace. I embed a beautiful video and also give the shlokas  (per Sringeri publication) and my own meanings.

***
श्रीमत्पयोनिधिनिकेतन चक्रपाणे भोगीन्द्रभोगमणिरञ्जितपुण्यमूर्ते     ।
योगीश शाश्वत शरण्यभवाब्धिपोत लक्ष्मीनृसिंह मम देहि करावलम्बम् ॥
T: "Oh Bhagavan whose abode is the Milky Ocean, who hold the Sudarshana Chakra, who lie resting on the Adishesha king of serpents whose crest jewel illuminates your divine form, the Master of all Yogas, the Eternal Being, the sure saviour of those surrendered from the ocean of samsara, Oh, Lakshmi Nrisimha! Kindly give me your helping hand!" (I have made it more intimate by not capitalising pronouns.)

ब्रह्मेन्द्ररुद्रमरुदर्ककिरीटकोटिसंघट्टिताङ्घ्रिकमलामलकान्तिकान्त ।
ल्क्ष्मीलसत्कुचसरोरुहराजहंस लक्ष्मीनृसिंह मम देहि करावलम्बम् ॥
T: "Oh Lord beautified by the untainted lustre of your lotus feet illumined by the bejewelled crowns of Brahma, Rudra, Vayu,Surya and other gods as they touch their heads to your feet! You look like the king swan adorned with the lotuses of Sri Lakshmi's breasts as she resides (Srivatsa) adorning your chest, Oh, Lakshmi Nrisimha! Kindly give me your helping hand!"

संसारदाहदहनाकुलभीकरोरुज्वालावलीभिरतिदग्धतनूरुहस्य ।
त्वत्पादपद्मसरसीं शरणागतस्य लक्ष्मीनृसिंह मम देहि करावलम्बम् ॥
T: "My worldly cravings are setting my body on a deadly fire singeing my hairs, I have come to your lotus feet for succour! Oh, Lakshmi Nrisimha! Kindly give me your helping hand!"

संसारजालपतितस्य जगन्निवास सर्वेन्द्रियार्थबडिशाग्रझषोपमस्य ।
प्रोत्कम्पितप्रचुरतालुकमस्तकस्य लक्ष्मीनृसिंह मम देहि करावलम्बम् ॥
T: "Oh Lord present everywhere in creation, I am like a fish caught in the net of this world. The fish hooks are sense attachments. I fling and flop desperately gnawing on them, knowing no better. Oh, Lakshmi Nrisimha! Kindly give me your helping hand!"

संसारकूपमतिघोरमगाधमूलं संप्राप्य दुःखशतसर्पसमाकुलस्य।
दीनस्य देव कृपया पदमागतस्य लक्ष्मीनृसिंह मम देहि करावलम्बम् ॥
T: "Dear Lord, I have fallen into this well of samsara. It is deep and deadly dark. My woes as countless serpents are surrounding me. I have now come to your feet, oh, Lord! Oh, Lakshmi Nrisimha! Kindly give me your helping hand!"

संसारभीकरकरीन्द्रकराबिघातनिष्पीद्यमानवपुषः सकलार्तिनाश ।
प्राणप्रयाणभवभीतिसमाकुलस्य लक्ष्मीनृसिंह मम देहि करावलम्बम् ॥
T: Dear Lord, here am I, buffetted and beaten by the trunks of awful tuskers called this samsara. You have a reputation as the Lord who saves one from all distress. I am dying here, caught in the fear of Death! Oh, Lakshmi Nrisimha! Kindly give me your helping hand!"

संसारसर्पविषदिग्धमहोग्रतीव्रदम्ष्ट्राग्रकोटिपरिदष्टविनष्टमूर्तेः।
नागारिवाहन सुधाब्धिनिवास शौरे लक्ष्मीनृसिंह मम देहि करावलम्बम् ॥
T: " The terrific poisonous fangs of the deadly serpent called samsara have bitten me countless times, my body is wracked by poison and deathly pain! Is not your vehicle, Garuda, the arch enemy destroying serpents? And you also rest calmly on the King of Serpents in the Milky Ocean! So Lord, Supreme among the powerful, oh, Lakshmi Nrisimha! Kindly give me your helping hand!"

संसारवृक्षमघबीजमनन्तकर्म शाखायुतं करणपत्रमनङ्गपुष्पम् ।
आरुह्य दुःखफलिनं पततः दयालो लक्ष्मीनृसिंह मम देहि करावलम्बम् ॥
T: "Lord, here am I, atop the tree of samsara, whose seeds are sins. Its branches are endless Karmas. Its leaves are worldly actions. Its flowers are passion-inducing Cupid. I am reaping the fruits of sorrow here, oh, Epitome of compassion! Oh, Lakshmi Nrisimha! Kindly give me your helping hand!"

संसारसागरविशालकरालकालनक्रग्रहग्रसितनिग्रहविग्रहस्य ।
व्यग्रस्य रागनिचयोर्मिनिपीडितस्य लक्ष्मीनृसिंह मम देहि करावलम्बम् ॥
T: "And here am I, oh Lord, caught in the deadly jaws of the dark shark/crocodile inhabiting the ocean of samsara.As if that is not enough, wretched me, I am buffetted by relentless waves of sense attractions! Oh, Lakshmi Nrisimha! Kindly give me your helping hand!"

संसारसागरनिमज्जनमुह्यमानं दीनं विलोकय विभो करुणानिधे माम् ।
प्रह्लादखेदपरिहारकृतावतार लक्ष्मीनृसिंह मम देहि करावलम्बम् ॥
T: "Oh Lord, look at me, desperate, drowning, senseless, in the ocean of samsara! You are the treasure house of compassion! Indeed you incarnated just to save Prahlada from his woes! Oh, Lakshmi Nrisimha! Kindly give me your helping hand!"

संसारघोरगहने चरतो मुरारे मारोग्रभीकरमृगप्रचुरार्दितस्य ।
आर्तस्य मत्सरनिदाघसुदुःखितस्य लक्ष्मीनृसिंह मम देहि करावलम्बम् ॥
T:" Lost in the dense and deadly forest of samsara, oh Murari, I am being attacked by the lion called Cupid (god of carnal passion). I am most wretched! On top of this, I am scorched by jealousy towards those who I think are having a good time. Oh, Lakshmi Nrisimha! Kindly give me your helping hand!"

बध्वा गले यमभटा बहु तर्जयन्तः कर्षन्ति यत्र भवपाशशतैर्युतं माम् ।
एकानिनं परवशं चकितं दयालो लक्ष्मीनृसिंह मम देहि करावलम्बम् ॥
T: "The messengers of the Lord of Death, Yama, have bound me up. They are harassing me, pulling me by the ropes of worldly misery. I am surprised to be alone and held captive now (I was expecting others to help me!). Oh, merciful lord! Oh, Lakshmi Nrisimha! Kindly give me your helping hand!"

लक्ष्मीपते कमलनाभ सुरेश विष्णो यज्ञेश यज्ञ मधुसूदन विश्वरूप ।
ब्रह्मण्य केशव जनार्दन वासुदेव लक्ष्मीनृसिंह मम देहि करावलम्बम् ॥
T: "Oh Consort of Sri Lakshmi, with lotus in your navel, the Lord of all gods, Maha Vishnu, the Lord of all Yajnas, the Lord who imbues all Yajnas with auspiciousness, the destroyer of Madhu Asura, the ine with Cosmic Immanence ( also the one who showed Vishwaroopa to Arjuna), Parabrahman known as Narayana, Keshava, of lovely hair, and granting prosperity, Janardana - the saviour of mankind, Vasudeva who is the Lord ever present everywhere, Oh, Lakshmi Nrisimha! Kindly give me your helping hand!"

एकेन चक्रमपरेण करेण शङ्खमन्येन सिन्धुतनयामवलम्ब्य तिष्ठन् ।
वामेतरेण वरदाभयपद्मचिह्नम् लक्ष्मीनृसिंह मम देहि करावलम्बम् ॥
T: "Dear Bhagavan, in one hand you hold Sudarshana Chakra, in the other you hold the Shankha. Your other hand (lower left) is encircling dearly the waist of Devi Sri Lakshmi seated in your lap. You are showing grace and assurance (Abhaya) in your lower right hand with the sacred lotus mark on your palm. Oh, Lakshmi Nrisimha! Kindly give me your helping hand!"

अन्धस्य मे हृतविवेकमहाधनस्य चोरैर्महाबलिभिरिन्द्रियनामधेयैः ।
मोहान्धकारकुहरे विनिपातितस्य लक्ष्मीनृसिंह मम देहि करावलम्बम् ॥
T: "I am a blind man, robbed of the most precious wealth called discrimination. The thieves are mighty, they are sense temptations! They have bundled me and thrown me into a dark crevice called worldly infatuation. Oh, Lakshmi Nrisimha! Kindly give me your helping hand!"

प्रह्लादनारदपराशरपुण्डरीकव्यासादिभागवतपुङ्गवहृन्निवास ।
भक्तानुरक्तपरिपालानपारिजात लक्ष्मीनृसिंह मम देहि करावलम्बम् ॥
T: " Dear Lord, you have made your abode in the hearts of supreme devotees starting with Prahlada, Narada, Parashara, Pundarika and Vyasa. When devotees have unstinting love for you, you become the divine Parijata tree to save them without fail. Oh, Lakshmi Nrisimha! Kindly give me your helping hand!"

लक्ष्मीनृसिंहचरणाब्जमधुव्रतेन स्तोत्रं कृतं शुभकरं भुवि शङ्करेण ।
ये तत्पठन्ति मनुजा हरिभक्तियुक्तास्ते यान्ति तत्पदसरोजमखण्डरूपम् ॥
T: "This prayer, bringing benediction to this world, has been composed by Adi Shankara who is constantly sipping the nectar of the lotus feet of Sri Lakshmi Nrisimha. Those who read this with devotion are sure to attain the Lord's lotus feet, the personification of infinite and eternal of bliss."

***