Friday, June 3, 2022

कृष्णलीलातरङ्गिणी





Today I was fortunate to attend a celebration of singing, dancing, chanting and group bhajans of Krishna Lila Tarangini under the guidance of Mataji Smt. Ananthalakshmi Natarajan. This nonagenarian has trained literally thousands in Sanskrit, scriptures, singing and a dharmic way of life.


Depending on Google Maps, I went first to the wrong 40/1, 2nd Main. Mataji was kind enough to direct me correctly. During the Tarangini session, she made an example of me as a bumbling seeker and quoted this very verse from Tarangini:


बद्धनयनो वनभुवि प्रतिविमुक्तः प्रश्नमुपलभ्य नगरं पुनरवाप

"Oh Krishna, save me! I am like the traveller robbed in the forest, blindfolded and tied with ropes and left to languish on the forest floor. The traveller suffers for long but then he hears the footfall of wayfarers. Somehow he screams to get their attention, is released and reaches his city home safe. Similarly I am lost, and all I need is to ask for help and you, Krishna, will release me from the terrible bondage! "