Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Valmiki Ramayana - Epilogue ...contd.



April 12 - Epilogue 2.

This extract is from DVG's Sri Rama Parikshanam book I mentioned yesterday. The book is a series of questions and criticisms levelled against Sri Rama and his responses, as imagined and penned in poetry by this great scholar-writer-philosopher DVG.

I have chosen a portion of "Siteya Prashne" (Sita's Question)- an imagined conversation between Devi Sita and Sri Rama.  

At the Ashvamedha Yajna, Kusha and Lava regale everyone with their recitation of the Ramayana as composed by Sage Valmiki. Sri Rama realizes who they are and sends for Devi Sita. His plan is to ask her to prove her purity in front of the Ayodhyavasis who harbour doubts. 

Instead, Devi Sita launches into this conversation, born in DVG's imagination. This conversation seems to be private between her and Sri Rama as others don't hear it.

DVG makes Devi Sita eloquence itself as she asks Sri Rama, "Why, why, why?"  I give a free translation:  

Devi Sita, mother of Kusha and Lava, who had been taken care of by Sage Valmiki, now spoke:

"Oh, my beloved, how much have you suffered on my account! That nick that Shiva's bow made on your shoulder at the swayamvara- is it gone, erasing all those memories!? What abundance of faith and love you have had for me that made you go through so much, yes, so much!

" Also, how much love and celebration we have enjoyed together!

"But, dear, I regret that I was not there to share in your greatest moments of distress- when you pined for me, when you sought an alliance with the vanaras and unburdened to them your grief on my account. What terrible hurdles you had to cross, building the bridge over the ocean, fighting those deadly battles with a rain of arrows with the mayavi Indrajit, the terrible Kumbhakarna, and seeing Lakshmana laid low unconscious and almost dead...

"That battle to end all battles with the tormentor of the world, Ravana....oh, how much you have gone through, all on my account, alas!"



"Dearest, you went through all this to help your loved one, me, a helpless woman in captivity. And later you brought me back into your arms, into a heaven of endless love, joy, celebration, and wellbeing in Ayodhya. Your tender words, your romantic gestures, your impassioned love, oh what happiness it all was!

"And then, all of a sudden, the morsel of sweet put in the mouth turned to burning coal! The lamp lit to light up our life was put out...The royal meal about to be served was dashed to earth...

"Oh Lord, now what more tests do you want me to pass? What doubt remains in your heart about me? Will your love for me still not ripen from its raw, sceptical condition? 

"Does the citizenry tell you when to speak and when to shut up? Does it scrutinize your good conduct?

"When will you stop this exercise of pleasing the public? When will your wisdom and discrimination wake up? 

"Can the flare-up of public gossip not be overcome by royal authority? Does not a king enjoy autonomy of thinking for himself? 

"What happened to your magnanimity that flowed generously to Ahalya, how did it dry up for me? 

"Oh, Lord! How does it matter anymore if you accept me or reject me? There has to be an end even to my misery someday...

"My lord! May you live well, oh Raghava! How do I matter to you anymore!? Rule well, oh, lord!"

Devi Sita's words that burst out with such feeling and existential pain were now answered by Sri Rama.

"Dearest, the queen of my heart! What you will now hear from me is about the subtlety of Dharma. I plead that you set aside for a moment your heart's anguish and listen to what this path of truth is, peacefully.

"Devi, I have always thought that you are supreme in equanimity while dealing with both joy and sorrow. But your words now are couched in an excess of worldly attachment to one's senses and feelings. 

"Oh daughter of Mother Earth, if one puts in the balance of Dharma two things - man's personal enjoyment, and the pursuit of the larger societal good, it is a sign of wisdom to know which side weighs more portending gravitas and eventual good. 

"For a king, all citizens are equal, whether they are wise and discriminating, or simplistic and lacking in judgement. As their guru, and lord, the king has to discharge his Dharma towards all.

"To ensure that man and wife relationships in society remain full of love and above suspicion and dispute, it becomes the duty of kings and queens to set an example, and even sacrifice their own personal man-wife relationships. Am I wrong in saying this?

"If I had chosen not to wrong you, i.e. not to sacrifice you, and ignored the talk of commoners, would people have continued to respect my rule and my observance of Dharma?

"If I chose not my personal sacrifice, and chose to turn a deaf ear to the public murmurs, would it not have planted the seed of disregard and discord in the land? Would our heads not have hung in worry and sorrow by this time, on account of the chaos in society we would have been responsible for? 

"Devi, it is the weak and ignorant that deserve our compassion and magnanimity. On the other hand, those who are strong in mind and body will be able to withstand self-abnegation and sacrifice. A mother carries her infant in her arms, but lovingly asks her grown-up child to walk, for she knows who needs what."

***

Devi Sita was listening to Sri Rama's words when Mother Earth opened up with a huge noise that shook everyone's heart. There was an oracle, "Oh Lord! You came down for saving the earth, and have magnificently ruled, with strength, wisdom, and self-sacrifice. The curtain is coming down on your Maya act now, and it matters not how the divine act of yours and Devi Sita's comes to an end. 

"Glory to Sri Rama, the lord of Devi Sita! Glory to the supreme hero of Raghukula! Glory to the great exemplar and support of Dharma on earth! This is the moment, Sri Rama, for you to bid Goodbye to Devi Sita."

"May all good be conferred on all!"