Tuesday, April 5, 2022

Valmiki Ramayana - April 5


April 5 - Sargas 104 and 105 of Uttara Kanda.

Brahma's message to Sri Rama that the purpose of his avatara has been fulfilled and he should return to his eternal abode.

The martyrdom of Lakshmana. 

***

पितामहेन देवेन प्रेषितोऽस्मि महाबल 
Kala, in the guise of the ascetic, now disclosed the message he had brought. "Sri Rama, oh mighty one, I have been sent by none other than Lord Brahma himself."

"Oh, Lord, eons ago, at the time of the creation of Hiranyagarbha (the golden egg from which all creation emerged), by your Maya, I was created as your son. I am the all-destroying Kala or Destiny. (which is a component of Maya, the force Ishwara employs to create and sustain and destroy.)

"The Creator god, the revered Lord Brahma, has sent me to you with this message.

समयस्ते कृतः सौम्य लोकान्संपरिरक्षितुम् 

"Lord Sri Rama, your vow to protect all creation when you assumed this avatara/birth, has been completed. Eons ago, all creation was hidden in you while you lay on the Milky Ocean as Mahavishnu, on top of the great snake Ananta which too you created with your Maya. You created the duo Madhu Kaithabha full of prowess. With their bones, after slaying them, you created all this material world. You gave birth to me in the lotus that emanated from your nabhi (belly button). You entrusted the job of creating all life forms to me as Brahma. 

"I then requested you to sustain all creation by yourself, existing amidst all creation as needed (avatara), and also to empower me in my duty of creating the world. This form of yours, taken for the sustenance and protection of all creation, is the form of Vishnu.

"You were born as the son of Aditi once as Vamana, as the brother of all gods. You always help them whenever they need it and as you choose to do. 

रावणस्य वधाकाङ्क्षी मानुषेषु मनोऽदधाः 
"To free creation from the terror of Ravana, and in order to slay him, you decided to assume the human form.

पूर्णमायुर्मानुषीष्विह कालोऽयं ते नरश्रेष्ठ समीपमुपवर्तितुम्

"Oh, Lord Sri Rama, your mission here has been completed, and you have dwelt here for very long. I think the time has now come for you to bring the curtain down on the Sri Rama avatara. However, it is your sweet will and pleasure if you choose to stay on amidst all your people and continue to take care of them in your human, kingly, form. On the other hand, if you return to your eternal abode as Vishnu, all the gods will be pleased."

This message of Lord Brahma was delivered by Kala. 

Sri Rama smiled, and spoke. "Oh, Kala, I am immensely pleased that you have brought this message from Lord Brahma."

भद्रं तेऽस्तु गमिष्यामि यत एवाहमागतः "Yes, indeed, at the request of all gods, I had come here as a human, and the purpose of this avatara has been fulfilled. May all good be with you, Kala, and know that I have decided to return from whence I came."

"Kala, I was thinking of you and you have indeed come, inspired by my thought alone."

देवतां वशवर्तिना स्थातव्यं सर्वसंहार यथा ह्याह पितामहः "Yes, indeed, as Lord Brahma has said, my desire is to be always amidst gods, engaged in taking care of whatever task arises for sustaining and protecting creation."

***

While this important conversation was going on between Kala and Sri Rama, Sage Durvasa came in a hurry to meet Sri Rama. He was stopped by Lakshmana, full of reverence and courtesy. Sage Durvasa wanted to go in and meet Sri Rama instantly. Lakshmana politely asked, "Oh, holy sage! Sri Rama is right now preoccupied. Would you deign to tell me the purpose of your visit, please? I shall immediately take care of it. Sri Rama is busy for a little while and he shall meet you immediately thereafter."

Sage Durvasa is famous in all our epics as the powerful sage given to quick anger, who could make or break anyone's future. Indeed he gave those boons to Kunti in Mahabharata. He is the one who disclosed to Dasharatha Sri Rama's destiny. He is the one who blessed Draupadi when she fed him and his large retinue of ascetics in the forest with Akshayapatra after help from Sri Krishna. He is the one who cursed Shakuntala to be forgotten by her husband. 

Sage Durvasa, true to his reputation, lost his composure completely. He shouted at Lakshmana, 
"Oh Lakshmana, if I do not see Sri Rama, and you stop me, I shall curse yourself, your brothers, your progeny, your family, and your kingdom, all to perish at once."

Lakshmana did not take even a moment to come to a decision. Lakshmana, the great hero of a brother, the embodiment of all goodness and valour that one can ever imagine, always completely in the service of Sri Rama, did not hesitate. He well knew Sri Rama's order that whoever disturbed his private meeting with his secret visitor would be put to death. Going and giving news of Durvasa's arrival would therefore mean death to Lakshmana.

एकस्य मरणं मेऽस्तु मा भूत्सर्वविनाशनम् 
"It is the right thing for me alone to die, rather than sacrificing everyone and everything to the sage's curse."

Lakshmana went in and disturbed Sri Rama. Sri Rama instantly released Kala from their meeting. He came out gladly to receive Sage Durvasa. He supplicated, "Oh, Sage, please tell me what you want me to do."

Sage Durvasa spoke. "Oh, Sri Rama, devoted to Dharma as you are, know that I have starved for a thousand years in the course of my tapas which I have just completed. Today I intend to break my fast. Please give me at once whatever food you have to serve me." Sri Rama was delighted and arranged for whatever royal repast could be arranged at once. He served the sage himself. Durvasa was very happy. He blessed Sri Rama wholeheartedly and departed to his ashrama.

Sri Rama was now plunged into catastrophic distress, recalling his word with Kala and his own order. 

दुःखेन च सुसंतप्तःस्मृत्वा तद्घोरदर्शनम् "Sri Rama shuddered, thinking of the calamitous import of his promise to Kala. He came to a conclusion, नैतदस्तीति निश्चित्य "Alas, nothing of this as it is now is meant to last. This applies to dearest Lakshmana, too."  

***

॥         श्रीरामजयम्        ॥