Sunday, August 15, 2021

Valmiki Ramayana - August 15


August 15 - Sargas 38 and 39 of Aranya Kanda.

Mareecha tells Ravana of his experiences with Sri Rama so far and how it is going to spell death to Ravana and other rakshasas if Ravana tries to steal Sita and provoke Rama.

***

Mareecha (मारीचः) now narrates his experiences of Sri Rama's personality and prowess.

"Oh dear Ravana, let me tell you of my encounter with Rama long ago. At that time I was extremely powerful and big as a cloud. I was as strong as a thousand elephants and carrying a spear, I used to torment ascetics and feed on their flesh.

"The sage Vishwamitra was engaged in some elaborate homa for the welfare of all humanity. I went and disturbed his rituals successfully. The sage went to Dasharatha and asked for help in dealing with my nuisance. The sage asked for Rama's help. But the king said Rama was a mere stripling of fifteen years and inexperienced in warfare, therefore the king himself would go with his large army to help the sage. But the sage, while acknowledging the king's mighty deeds in the past, said that Rama and Rama alone would be able to deal with m. He convinced Dasharatha and secured the king's consent.

I went and attacked the homa, like a huge dark cloud, wearing bright golden ear-rings, supremely arrogant about my powers. A young Rama, who was yet to grow a beard, stood guard there, extremely handsome, shining with his gold necklace. He saw me unperturbed and strung his bow.

अवजानन्नहं मोहाद् बालोऽयमिति राघवम्             ।
विश्वामित्रस्य तां वेदिमभ्यधावं कृतत्वरः                 ॥

तेन मुक्तस्ततो बाणः शितः शत्रुनिबर्हणः                ।
तेनाहं ताडितः क्षिप्तः समुद्रे शतयोजने                  ॥  

"Out of my delusion, I thought slightingly of that young lad Rama. I rushed with all speed towards Vishwamitra's sacrificial altar.

"Then the extremely sharp arrow that Rama shot at me was powerful enough to destroy any enemy. I was struck by that arrow and cast away a few hundred miles away into the sea.

"I realised that Rama had spared my life and got rid of my nuisance. I was unconscious. When I recovered I came to Lanka. To think of Rama's prowess even when he was so young and inexperienced is enough to convince me that your plan is extremely ill-fated.

"The others who had accompanied me were all killed by Rama then."

Mareecha then gives graphic descriptions of the calamity that will engulf Lanka and kill many innocents who would not have been accessories to Ravana's misdeed. He foresees how Rama's arrows will engulf Lanka and how fires will destroy the entire city. So Ravana should go back and be happy with his many wonderful wives instead of trying to molest Sita.

***

Mareecha now adds how he has even recently witnessed Rama's invincibility and prowess.

Recently, Mareecha decided to go to Dandaka with two other rakshasas. Whereas those two took the form of deer, Mareecha assumed the form of a strange animal with a huge and powerful body, a flaming tongue, and large, very sharp antlers. He used to visit ascetics during their austerities and drink their blood and eat their flesh.

Then Mareecha came across Rama. Rama was now living the life of an ascetic in the forest along with Sita and Lakshmana. Mareecha ignored his past encounter with Rama and decided that, now that Rama was an ascetic, he would be easy prey. As that fierce animal with dreadful antlers, Mareecha charged at Rama hoping to eat him up.

Rama shot three infallible arrows that could destroy any enemy. They flew like Garuda towards Mareecha. Mareecha was able to save himself just in the nick of time and fled far away, seeing his two companions being killed by those arrows. After this extremely scary second encounter, Mareecha had decided to turn the corner and abandon his evil ways. He was now settled here in his hermitage as an ascetic.

अपि रामसहस्राणि भीतः पश्यामि रावण ।
रामभूतमिदं सर्वमरण्यं प्रतिभाति मे         ॥

"Oh Ravana, I constantly visualise thousands of Ramas all around me. I am scared beyond description of Rama and I experience this forest as filled with Rama. He comes in my dreams and I become numb with fright. Even any word starting with Ra like ratnas (gems) and rathas (chariots) terrorise me as I experience Rama from those triggers.


सोऽहं परापाराधेन विनशेयं निशाचर          ।
कुरु यत् ते क्षमं तत्त्वमहं त्वां नानुयामि वै     ॥  


"Oh Rakshasa Ravana, therefore, through your act of indiscretion, inadvertent on my part, I shall perish if I do as you say. As such, you please do whatever you may deem appropriate, but I shall not accompany you in this misadventure.

"If Rama killed Khara and disfigured Shurpanakha, it retribution for the extreme indiscretion and provocation on her part for sure."

इदं वचो बन्धुहितार्थिना मया 
            यथोच्यमानं यदि नाभिपत्स्यसे       ।
सबान्धवस्त्यक्षसि जीवितं रणे
             हतोऽद्य रामेण शरैरजिह्यगैः         ॥

"And to conclude what I am saying, Ravana, if you do not follow these words spoken out of my filial affection and concern for your welfare,  you shall relinquish your life in an unnecessary war along with all your people, killed as you will be quickly, by the sharp, straight, infallible arrows of Rama."


***


॥           ष्रीरामजयम्            ॥