Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Srimad Bhagavatam XII. snippet 11 - 5 September 2023



॥ ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय ॥

Srimad Bhagavatam - snippet 11- Tuesday, 5 September 2023 - my own thoughts.
***

Tomorrow is Sri Krishna Janmashtami, occurring on Ashtami Rohini as per my calendar. I shall be reading the final chapter of the final Skandha and completing my study of Srimad Bhagavatam.

I must confess that I have not done such a great job in this study. I was prompted by Dr. Venkat Subrahmanyan, Director of Vyoma, last year to study Bhagavatam. I had already read the English version of Swami Tejomayananda's book which captured a series of his lectures on Srimad Bhagavatam. I had also attended his Bhagavata Stuti Mala camp in Adi Shankara Nilayam. So my enthusiasm to follow up on Sri. Venkat's suggestion was great. All it needed was a final push which came from Guruji Smt. Ananthalakshmi Mami when I attended her Narayana Tirtha Day. Last year, I began this study on Janmashtami. This has gone on on a daily basis without letup. That is indeed Sri Krishna's immense grace. I have also received many many encouraging signals from reader well-wishers. 

I have failed to live Srimad Bhagavatam 24x7. I am still not so focussed as I would like to be. The only saving grace in my effort is the immense, yes, immense, joy I have experienced every day. That should keep me motivated.

Today I wanted to ruminate on what are my takeaways. Luckily, I found a chapter capturing precisely my thoughts! 

https://rsachi.blogspot.com/2022/08/aug-26.html

स वै पुंसां परो धर्मो यतो भक्तिरधोक्षजे ।
अहैतुक्यप्रतिहता ययाऽऽत्मा सम्प्रसीदति ॥

That is the supreme Dharma for man which evokes unstinted, desireless love for Sri Krishna as this is the sole means to experience the delight of the Atma. 

Vairagya and Jnana naturally follow from Bhakti. Bhakti replaces worldly desires (=Vairagya) and makes one see life differently, without attachment (Jnana).

धर्मः स्वनुष्ठितः पुंसां विष्वक्सेनकथासु यः ।
नोत्पादयेद्यदि रतिं श्रम एव हि केवलम् ॥

Men engage in several activities and religious rituals, all with the desire for worldly benefits. 
All such religious efforts that do not develop unstinting devotion are a mere waste of effort and sweat with no benefit at all.

Many maintain that Dharma - righteous living and ritual, is after all for securing worldly good and a better life in heaven thereafter. But the desire for pleasures and wealth cannot ever be true Dharma, as it does not evoke a search for ultimate liberation, the summum bonum, which can be obtained only by the search for Brahman (formless Godhood), Paramatman (the Supreme Being), Bhagavan (the lovable and worshippable God with form), these three ideas all leading to the same state of liberation.

तच्छ्रद्दधाना मुनयो ज्ञानवैराग्ययुक्तया ।
पश्यन्त्यात्मनि चात्मानं भक्त्या श्रुतगृहीतया ॥

The sages with Jnana and Vairagya and true dedication who listen to Srimad Bhagavatam develop unstinting devotion and are bound to find the Supreme Being in their own hearts.
 
In a wonderful way, the Supreme Being, through the Yogamaya Shakti (creative power) under His control, combines in infinite ways the three Gunas and manifests in all creation. He is yet untainted therefrom while infusing all existence with consciousness emanating from His pure Supreme Being.

The Lord alone manifests through His Leela (sport) as gods, humans, animals, and everything else. He protects and nourishes all creation. Therefore it is easy for a simple and honest person to discover the wonder of creation and the true joy of loving Bhagavan present in everything and everyone. All it needs is honest seeking. 

Finally, living in the presence of Bhagavan always means we experience the ultimate Bliss, Love, Beauty and Intuition which is the core of true existence, as these four are beyond Maya. This is also the message of my Guru Shri Ishwar Puri.

🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

***