Sunday, October 9, 2022

Srimad Bhagavatam III.16 - 9 October 2022



॥ ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय ॥
Sunday, 9 October 2022 - III.16 - Bhagavan Maha Vishnu apologises to the Kumaras.

***

Bhagavan acknowledged the praises and prayers of the Kumaras and continued thus:
“These attendants of Mine, Jaya and Vijaya by name, have committed a great offence against you because of ignoring Me. Oh, great sages, I approve of the punishment that you have meted out to them. I consider their misconduct as my own because they are in my employ. I therefore I seek your forgiveness.”

“Even a Chandala (outcast eating dog meat) is sanctified by taking My name.You sages have realised me through your Sadhana. I shall therefore not hesitate even to cut off My arm (gods and guardians) if that has offended you.”

नाहं तथाद्मि यजमानहविर्विताने श्‍च्योतद्‍घृतप्लुतमदन् हुतभुङ्‍मुखेन ।
यद्ब्राह्मणस्य मुखतश्चरतोऽनुघासं तुष्टस्य मय्यवहितैर्निजकर्मपाकै: ॥
T: “I do not enjoy the elaborate ritualistic offerings in the Yajnas as much as I enjoy by sharing in their enjoyment of simple food enjoyed by My devotees who have resigned to whatever outcomes their actions incur as Karmaphala.”

“Just as the holy Ganga flowing from My feet sanctifies all creation by her flowing there, I take the dust of the feet of My devotees.”

“Those who make a distinction between Me and the holy Brahmins and cows as inferior to Me go to Yama. On the other hand, those who take even admonition from holy Brahmins smilingly as a blessing gladden My heart.”

“Your punishment to My attendants from their transgression is very just. My only request is that you sanction that after reaping the fruit of their transgression, they may return to My presence soon and the time of their exile from My abode may expire before long.”

The sages responded to Maha Vishnu in surprise. They emphasise that He is the supreme worshippable deity for all Brahmins and He is making it look as if the Kumaras had done Him a favour. They repeat that the Lord of all, with His inexhaustible glory, is the ultimate protector of Dharma.

यं वानयोर्दममधीश भवान् विधत्ते वृत्तिं नु वा तदनुमन्महि निर्व्यलीकम् ।
अस्मासु वा य उचितो ध्रियतां स दण्डो येऽनागसौ वयमयुङ्‌क्ष्महि किल्बिषेण ॥
T: (I shall give here as an example the classic anvayartha process to be followed in translation.)
अधीश - “Oh, Supreme Ruler!” यं अनयोः वा अस्मासु वा “To these two attendants or to us”
दमम् वृत्तिं नु विधत्ते “What You dispense as punishment” यः उचितः ध्रियतां “Shall be accepted as fair”
तदनुमन्महि निर्व्यलीकं “You will dispense without duplicity.” स दण्डः वयम् अयुङ्क्ष्महि किल्बिषेण “Since we have placed a curse on these two sinless attendants of Yours, thoughtlessly”.

T: “Oh, Lord, whatever punishment You give these two or to us is acceptable, as You are always just and we have erred in pronouncing our curse on these sinless attendants.”

The Lord replied: “ Oh, holy Brahmins, know that you placed that curse only as ordained by Me! Therefore they shall be born with demoniac tendencies. Their hate of Me will make them think of Me always. They shall return to Me here again in quick time.”
***

The Kumara sages felt that their visit to Vaikuntha was amply rewarded by the Lord’s Darshan.  Bowing low and circumambulating Sri Maha Vishnu, they departed from Vaikuntha.

Maha Vishnu now turned to His attendants. 

“Oh, Jaya and Vijaya, although I can well nullify the sages’ curse on you two, know that the curse was due to My approval alone. Indeed, Sri Lakshmi had foretold this as you had stopped her also once before. But by practising in your demoniac births a kind of Yoga in your anger towards Me, you will become cleansed and return to Me in a short while.”

Sri Maha Vishnu returned to His abode, and Jaya-Vijaya’s lustre had drained off by the Kumaras’ curse. They at once fell from Vaikuntha, and there was an uproar from all the gods as Dharma was thus upheld.

***

तावेव ह्यधुना प्राप्तौ पार्षदप्रवरौ हरे: । दितेर्जठरनिर्विष्टं काश्यपं तेज उल्बणम् ॥
तयोरसुरयोरद्य तेजसा यमयोर्हि व: । आक्षिप्तं तेज एतर्हि भगवांस्तद्विधित्सति ॥
T: Lord Brahma concluded: “Oh dear sons, just now Jaya Vijaya have entered Diti’s womb, where Sage Kashyapa’s seed was planted. That is why this darkness and your agitation. This is entirely by Bhagavan’s will. I assure you, no one can understand Lord’s Maya through which He controls the universe with its three Gunas. Therefore know that the Lord alone can come to your rescue.”

***
॥ ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय ॥