Friday, January 1, 2021

Violin Legend T Chowdiah

I heard Vidwan Chowdiah first in late 1950s and early 1960s in Bangalore when I wasn't even ten years of age. His fame ensured that there was in every concert a large crowd and that everyone thoroughly enjoyed the show. I am talking of his solos; and ensembles where he would lead with his favourite pieces and accompanists (violin and sometimes veena and flute) would follow faithfully. There would be good mridangam and ghatam accompaniment, too. Sri. Chowdiah appeared to me (a very young listener) to be supremely confident and given to a lot of tricks to hold the audiences. In fact the modern instrumentalist stars all seem to me to be following a format he had created. Please listen to this: This was broadcast today on AIR 100.1FM with the announcement that today is Sri. Chowdiah's anniversary. In a flash, whatever I have heard from Sri. K. Srikantiah, he and his father having been major patrons and friends of Sri. Chowdiah, and whatever I have heard from stalwarts like Vid. KVN and Sri. S. Krishnamurthy, passed through my mind. From being the son of a farmer to a devoted disciple of Vid. Bidaram Krishnappa to becoming the supreme violin accompanist to all the superstars to being a great organiser, teacher, innovator of the seven stringed violin and finally to being the brand ambassador of Carnatic music in a true sense - all this makes him the first Carnatic super-hero for me. Listen to his Kadanakuthuhalam. It is full of melody, manodharma, instrumental virtuosity, and captivating presentation. A true legend we should remember and celebrate always. Did you notice how his Kadanakuthuhalam had many flavours of Maand also in the beginning? Two very sparkling cameo raagas in CM!