Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Lost Kingdom

When I was living in Sydney, Australia, I was tickled to find that every suburb and town had streets named George Street,  Oxford Street and on.  It was as if the English immigrants had all missed their old home so much that they tried to create the me-too towns and streets that gave them restored pride and comfort.
America is full of places like New York and New Hampshire and New England. All harking back to a lost kingdom in their minds perhaps?

I find something similar in India too. Many pilgrimage centres in south India are called Dakshina Kashi, Dakshina Badari, Dakshina Dwaraka and so on. Is it that these places reminded pilgrims from the north who came and settled down here in the south, of their old homes? Is it that some religious leaders were telling local people that one needn't anymore travel up north to seek spiritual merit?  Or is it that saints found similar vibrations in these places?

I for one always go for the original. Give me a place and a temple which has its own history,  merit, and attractiveness. Me-too doesn't interest me.