Saturday, October 16, 2010

Ultimate music, ultimate bliss, ultimate grace

Today, Goddess Saraswathi has conferred her ultimate grace on me. Ever since the sixties, I have been recalling a wonderful  Bhairavi alapana played by the maestro Lalgudi Jayaraman. I have spoken to many about it, and have searched here and there without success for a recording that harks back to that experience.

Like a Chatak bird, who waits to savour the Swati rain drop in autumn that becomes a pearl, I have waited. And today, Swati Solutions have delivered to me the album "Fourmost" (kalakendra.com) brought out to celebrate the maestro's 8oth birthday.  The four CDs are supposed to represent the best sample of his musical genius.

And the very first item on it? His Bhairavi alapana that I have been craving for!


I urge you to buy this CD set and listen to it. I have just heard the Bhairavi. And that is enough to show what else is in this treasure chest. Lalgudi Jayaraman in this Bhairavi alapana has produced the ultimate music, ultimate grace, and ultimate bliss. He is like Dattatreya, born of Vishnu's grace. Brahma's creativity and Shiva's prowess. He is the synthesis of  Bach's grandeur, Beethoven's virtuosity and Mozart's melody. He is the dear child of Bhairavi, frolicking in her courtyard, and delighting her in wonderful ways. Bhairavi's ultimate benediction is here.

I am impelled to recite:

Sarvamangalamangalye Shive Sarvarthasadhike  
Sharanye Tryambake Gauri Narayani Namostute!

Glory to the Mother! Glory to Lalgudi!