Friday, March 1, 2013

Eating a Gold Dosa.

I admit I am a bit backward, because I did not see this BBC news item or read in the papers how a Darshini type of joint in Malleshwaram is making a killing selling Gold Plated Dosas.



My first reaction is disgust. As someone who travels long distances to eat good dosas, I have an intrinsic adoration for dosa as a divine food article. But I also know that many Indians regard Gold to be a symbol of all that is good and holy. Today our country has more than 750 million hungry and poor people because other people have been stashing away their wealth in idle gold so it appreciates and they make a killing, instead of employing their wealth in productive activities.

Gold represents all that is worldly and self-seeking and NON-productive. The Indian mind is warped and ill. Hence the craze for gold. And now will I eat a Dosa costing Rs. 1011/-, because it has a gold leaf stuck to it, whereas a decent dosa should not cost you more than Rs. 50/-?

Modern medicine says all heavy metals and heavy metal salts are TOXIC. The most benign explanation of the "pure" gold leaf's edibility is that it will not be digested and go out with the faeces the next day.

Ancient people used to take gold as medicine and as a fortifier because of myths. The rich people of the world today lace their chocolates and drinks with gold foils to show off. But a Darshini dosa costing Rs 1011/- because it has gold foil stuck on it...It is simply REVOLTING.

But I was revolted when I heard about a Devi temple built in pure gold by some self-made god-man. I think I have a problem with the obsessions people have with gold.

PS: I am amused when the rich poor young lady says in the video that the gold dosa is ISO certified. She doesn't know that ISO standards are not endorsements for products but a certificate for factory processes. I don't think this guy has any ISO process. Perhaps the municipal hygiene inspectors would have eaten his dosas before signing off his shop certificate.