Friday, May 4, 2012

Mausiqui ek Khoj




Dear friends,
Last Friday I saw a beautiful programme called Mausiqui ek Khoj at 4:30 pm on DD Bharati.

How I wish Charulata Mani's excellent "A Raga's Journey" could take shape like this one...

The programme is presented by Ustad Shujaat Khan every week and explains the nuances of a Hindustani raga, with beautiful video examples. Last Friday it was Tilak Kamod, which he described (rightly I think!) as a raga of "innocence". Shujaat is the son of Vilayat Khan, and Ustad Shahid Parvez, one of my favourites, is his cousin I think. The programme is beautiful and reminded me of the short and sweet "Sangeet Sarita" on Vivid Bharati that I used to enjoy in olden "golden" days.
I would now like to share with you a piece from my CD collection of Ustad Shahid Parvez here. It is a Thumri in Tilak Kamod... it is incredible:


-Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone