Friday, October 28, 2022

Srimad Bhagavatam IV.03 - 28 October 2022


॥ ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय ॥

Friday, 28 October 2022 IV.03 - Sati wants to visit her father's big Yajna, but Lord Shiva dissuades her.
***

Thus, the animosity between Daksha and Lord Shiva continued for a long time. Brahma had meanwhile appointed Daksha as the head of the Prajapatis. To celebrate the occasion, Daksha performed a series of Yajnas in a grand manner, named Vajapeya and Brihaspati-Parva. He was confident by virtue of Brahma's encouragement and his elevation. Many Brahmarshis, gods and sages attended the grand event with their wives, all bedecked for the occasion. 

Sati, wedded to Lord Shiva, and dwelling in Kailasa, witnessed wonderful groups of these heavenly attendees, all dressed up and animatedly discussing the grandeur of Daksha's Yajnas and the celebrations. She approached Lord Shiva.

सत्युवाच
प्रजापतेस्ते श्वशुरस्य साम्प्रतं निर्यापितो यज्ञमहोत्सव: किल ।
वयं च तत्राभिसराम वाम ते यद्यर्थितामी विबुधा व्रजन्ति हि ॥
तस्मिन्भगिन्यो मम भर्तृभि: स्वकैर्ध्रुवं गमिष्यन्ति सुहृद्दिद‍ृक्षव: ।
अहं च तस्मिन्भवताभिकामये सहोपनीतं परिबर्हमर्हितुम् ॥
T: Sati said, "My dear Lord Shiva, your father-in-law is now performing great Yajnas, and all the gods, having been invited by him, are going there. If you desire, we may also go. I think that all my sisters must have gone to this great Yajna with their husbands just to see their relatives. I also desire to decorate myself with the ornaments given to me by my father and go there with you to participate in that celebration."

"I can meet all my sisters and their families! I can also see the banners and flags, and witness the Yajna performed by great sages. I therefore very much want to go, please."

"Lord, you know well the origin of this creation and the interplay of Gunas. I am but a woman and don't know the supreme truth. Hence my attraction to my parental home. Oh, Lord, you are the never-born one (Shiva was not born in any womb), the blue-throated one! Please let me go and join the celebrations with all my finery and ornaments! See the skies, they are full of aerial vehicles with gods and sages travelling in great pomp!"

"My Lord, how I can not go there?  Even though you may be considering that I have not been invited, there is no harm if one goes to the house of one’s friend, husband, spiritual master or father without an invitation! Please..."

Lord Shiva smiled at Sati's importunity, but also remembered the piercing insults heaped on him by Daksha earlier in the assembly of all the gods. He spoke gently:

"My dear, it is true that one can go uninvited to one's relative or friend's house. But not when the host insults or criticises the guest out of his own ignorance (body identification.)
 
विद्यातपोवित्तवपुर्वय:कुलै: सतां गुणै: षड्‌भिरसत्तमेतरै: ।
स्मृतौ हतायां भृतमानदुर्दृश: स्तब्धा न पश्यन्ति हि धाम भूयसाम् ॥
नैताद‍ृशानां स्वजनव्यपेक्षया गृहान्प्रतीयादनवस्थितात्मनाम् ।
येऽभ्यागतान् वक्रधियाभिचक्षते आरोपितभ्रूभिरमर्षणाक्षिभि: ॥
T: "Although the six qualities of learning, austerity, riches, beauty, youth and lineage are virtues for the great ones,  anyone who is proud of possessing them becomes blind, and thus he loses his good sense and cannot appreciate the glories of great personalities."

"One should not go to anyone’s house, even on the consideration of his being a relative or a friend, when the man is disturbed in his mind and looks upon the guest with raised eyebrows and angry eyes."

"The insults of a relative or friend hurt more than deadly arrows of an enemy. This will rend one's heart day and night. Yes, your sisters are welcome there but know that since you are my wife, you will not be honoured. You will feel sorry and ashamed that you are married to me."

"One in ignorance and false ego fails to recognise and honour those with self-realisation, much like demons hate Sri Maha Vishnu."

"Yes, my dear, it is true that friends and relatives show mutual love and respect when they meet. But those in a transcendental state of self-realisation offer their respects to the Paramatma within, not to the embodied beings falsely identified with their ego."

सत्त्वं विशुद्धं वसुदेवशब्दितं यदीयते तत्र पुमानपावृत: ।
सत्त्वे च तस्मिन्भगवान्वासुदेवो ह्यधोक्षजो मे नमसा विधीयते ॥
T: "My dear, I am constantly in prayer towards Bhagavan Vasudeva, Adhokshaja, the manifestation of the Supreme Being fully revealed with no covering. I advise you not to go and meet your father, as he and his people are envious of me and have insulted me for no reason."

यदि व्रजिष्यस्यतिहाय मद्वचो भद्रं भवत्या न ततो भविष्यति ।
सम्भावितस्य स्वजनात्पराभवो यदा स सद्यो मरणाय कल्पते ॥
T: "If in spite of what I have explained, if you to ignoring my words, the future will not be good for you. You are most respectable, and when you are insulted by your relative, this insult will immediately be tantamount to death."

***

॥ ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय ॥