Thursday, February 6, 2014

'Death' in the Bhagavadgita

Long back, when I was still in my teens and my father had turned sixty, I had scandalised him by saying, "there must be a rule to eliminate people over sixty". I really thought old people would be carrying too much baggage, would lose energy and creativity and be a burden to society, as they were simply waiting for their end.
I don't wish to challenge those statements now, even though I am on the other side. But as we grow older, one constant experience is our seeing people die. Death seems to be a ticket counter and we all seem to be in a long queue moving up steadily every second. But then death is something we don't want to see.
My eternal enchantment with Bhagavadgita for its voice, insight, reach, and sympathy for the human condition also involves frequently savouring its mention of death. So I decided to cover the theme of 'Death'  in the Bhagavadgita, chapter by chapter. You can expect in the next eighteen posts what each chapter says in various ways-  some deeply insightful things about death.
Talk to you soon.